Emacs keybidings in Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise)

I am an Emacs lover. Here I admit it :-). One of the things I loved about my previous days with Mac OS X, was the Emacs keybindings (shortcuts) when editing text. CTRL-A, CTRL-K, CTRL-E are some I can't live without when editing e-mails and text docs.

If you want to enabled Emacs keybindings (shortcuts) in Ubuntu 12.04 (Unity or GNOME3) just open a Terminal and paste the following line:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-key-theme "Emacs"

Enjoy!

Comments

Anonymous said…
This was awesomely helpful thank you!!!
Tobia Tesan said…
It's great, but what do I use instead of Command+C, Command+V and Command+A? :)
luka.ramishvili said…
@Tobia M-w for Control+C (copy), C-y for Control-V (yank aka paste), and M-< C-Space M-> for Control-A (select all). C- means Control- , and M- means Alt-.
Anonymous said…
Been searching for the correct command all day, this one worked like a charm! Thanks for the post!
Steve K said…
What are the keys in "M-< C-Space M->"?
I can't see how to get select-all to work. Are there two Meta- keystrokes here? Are the <> brackets to enclose a control-space-meta keystroke?

(Interesting that I've never had to select-all inside emacs, but use it all the time in a windowed environment!)
uri said…
How do you undo this setting?
uri said…
How do you undo this setting?
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
$ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-key-theme "Default"

Note that Cinnamon has its own settings (replace .gnome. with .cinnamon. in the commands above.)
Anonymous said…
Because this doesn't work for me, I just check the dedicated option in the option menu

Popular posts from this blog

Make-a-friend with a New Syrian Family Program - Call for volunteers

Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring) on ThinkPad X1 Carbon Experience